Sunday 15 July 2012

My First Raku Firing

 My first experience of raku firing. The gas hose is inserted
 Thermometer in the opposite side. We went up to 980 only.
 The science fiction mask for viewing the pots through the chimney.
 I didn't get a photo of the kiln once it's ready but the top is lifted off and pots are taken with tongues and put into sawdust in a pit or metal bucket. The sawdust ignites, causing reactions in the glazes and a darkening of the clay body.
 Springle with water to get some areas to cool more quickly
then plunge into a bucket of water.
 It was such a great day!
 Each firing was really exciting as results were so unpredictable.
The three glazes offered the potential of rich turquoise,
crackle and metalic effects.
A great bunch of people,
in a lovely setting,
delicious food
and the best weather we've had for weeks.
A big thank you to Ros and Emma! 
Blessed with a visit from beautiful Edmund too.
It is a tricky process and I do have 3 out of my 5 pots severely cracked
but I am very happy.
They have lovely qualities and we all had fun.
I'll post pics of my pots when I have the energy to photograph them.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

What can I say - you are a brave woman! Playing with fire, inserting gas pipes... I'd be very worried, but I'm sure it was fun and definitely worth the effort. I will look forward to seeing the results.

Kristina

P.S. Edmund is very handsome.